Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Portable Ubuntu - Run Ubuntu Inside Windows

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Portable Ubuntu - Run Ubuntu Inside Windows

    This is bloody awesome, specially because I'm having serious issues installing Ubuntu on my Laptop with Raid 1 disks (mirroring).

    I'll give it a try immediately and will let you know.

    Lifehacker - Portable Ubuntu Runs Ubuntu Inside Windows - Portable Ubuntu


  2. um.. what for?

  3. #3
    You can get Ubuntu disk from their website which offers live Ubuntu (no installation required)

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Khan View Post
    You can get Ubuntu disk from their website which offers live Ubuntu (no installation required)
    It just won't work with my Qosmio F30 using 2 disks in Raid 1

  5. #5
    /me downloads. I've always had issues with at least one piece of hardware when I've tried to install Ubuntu. I can't even try to install Ubuntu on this computer, otherwise I will void my 2-year warranty. Finally, a solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khan View Post
    You can get Ubuntu disk from their website which offers live Ubuntu (no installation required)
    But can ya run Windows applications at the same time? Will the disk save all of your settings upon next boot?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    But can ya run Windows applications at the same time? Will the disk save all of your settings upon next boot?
    No you can't run windows applications at the same time. What you do is reboot the computer, insert Ubuntu Live CD-Rom. You can only use Ubuntu and you can't save any settings whatsoever.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Khan View Post
    No you can't run windows applications at the same time. What you do is reboot the computer, insert Ubuntu Live CD-Rom. You can only use Ubuntu and you can't save any settings whatsoever.
    That's why I love Knoppix You can save any settings you want.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Khan View Post
    No you can't run windows applications at the same time. What you do is reboot the computer, insert Ubuntu Live CD-Rom. You can only use Ubuntu and you can't save any settings whatsoever.
    I know the answers to those questions... I was just trying to pinpoint why this software is better than the Live CD.

    P.S. Shenny, was I doing something wrong? I'm running vista... I right-clicked cmd, clicked "Run as Administrator," typed "cd /users/I Knew It!/Desktop/Portable_Ubuntu/" and then I typed "run_portable_ubuntu."

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post

    P.S. Shenny, was I doing something wrong? I'm running vista... I right-clicked cmd, clicked "Run as Administrator," typed "cd /users/I Knew It!/Desktop/Portable_Ubuntu/" and then I typed "run_portable_ubuntu."
    Problem 1 - Vista

    In any case (on a XP machine) I just go to the command line and execute "portable_ubuntu.bat"

    What's happening at your end?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenron View Post
    Problem 1 - Vista

    In any case (on a XP machine) I just go to the command line and execute "portable_ubuntu.bat"

    What's happening at your end?
    Well... Pretty much immediately, a tray icon appears. After about 3 minutes, the splash logo appears for about 30 seconds. After a further 2 minutes or so, the Ubuntu bar thingy shows up - but when I click on it, nothing happens. Frozen Ubuntu, that's a first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. CentOS vs. Ubuntu as a Web Server
    By Will.Spencer in forum Managing
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 26 December, 2010, 07:17 AM
  2. Recovery of files using Ubuntu
    By xxtoni in forum Tech-Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 3 June, 2010, 05:52 AM
  3. Microsoft Owns Ubuntu
    By Laddy in forum Tech-Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 5 July, 2009, 19:51 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •