Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: New YouTube Licensing Options

  1. #1
    javanx3d's Avatar
    javanx3d is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    916
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 237 Times in 164 Posts

    New YouTube Licensing Options

    So, posting a video tonight and saw we have two options now for licensing when publishing a video:
    Option 1 - Standard You Tube TOS
    YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

    Option 2 - Creative Commons License
    YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

    What do you think is the best one to use for building??
    Cheers,
    James

  2. #2
    Andy101's Avatar
    Andy101 is offline Code Otaku
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kanazawa
    Posts
    1,285
    Thanks
    175
    Thanked 306 Times in 233 Posts
    Lately I have been embedding YT videos into blogs, so I hope that the embed function takes the licensing into account before offering the embed code, and doesn't say you are not permitted to view this video etc. when somebody tries to view it on my blog.

    So taking this scenario into account may influence which licensing option you go for.

    CC licensing may be too much hassle for re-publishers to handle maybe?

  3. #3
    TopDogger's Avatar
    TopDogger is offline Über Hund
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hellfire, AZ
    Posts
    3,087
    Thanks
    348
    Thanked 916 Times in 700 Posts
    There could be a big problem with one line in the Creative Commons license: "By marking your original video with a Creative Commons license, you are granting the entire YouTube community the right to reuse and edit that video." You would only want to use this option if you don't care about someone taking your work and altering it.

    I will use the Standard License the next time I upload a video.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin


  4. #4
    javanx3d's Avatar
    javanx3d is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    916
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 237 Times in 164 Posts
    On the flip side, if you're embedding the videos of others does the creative commons license provide you better protection against being sued by others for copyright infringements that you may not be aware of in the videos (thinking music or theme songs mostly bundled with other content here...).

    ---------- Post added at 15:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 15:46 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy101 View Post
    Lately I have been embedding YT videos into blogs, so I hope that the embed function takes the licensing into account before offering the embed code, and doesn't say you are not permitted to view this video etc. when somebody tries to view it on my blog.

    So taking this scenario into account may influence which licensing option you go for.

    CC licensing may be too much hassle for re-publishers to handle maybe?
    I don't think the embed function is this smart though....

  5. #5
    memenode's Avatar
    memenode is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    490
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    176
    Thanked 152 Times in 116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by javanx3d View Post
    On the flip side, if you're embedding the videos of others does the creative commons license provide you better protection against being sued by others for copyright infringements that you may not be aware of in the videos (thinking music or theme songs mostly bundled with other content here...).
    I don't think so. Fair use probably remains the best protection for that, other than creating your own material or using other available CC or public domain material. From what I understand Creative Commons is just a convenient way to say "you can share and modify this" either out of good will or hope that this will make your work more attractive to others. There are also multiple CC licenses, some of which restrict making derivates and all commercial use.

    CC licensing was borne out of the Free Culture movement, mostly led by Lawrence Lessig who argues a lot against the current draconian copyright regimes and wants to see it reformed. He's also on the board of the Free Software Foundation. CreativeCommons.org has more info.

  6. #6
    javanx3d's Avatar
    javanx3d is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    916
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 237 Times in 164 Posts
    So a good listing / resource to provide if you know of one or find one in your travels is a lawyer vetted generally approved usage listing for each of the licenses!
    I have learned that multiple non-lawyers arguing legalease does not make for good legal protection
    I'll have to ask my bud at work (lawyer but doesn't do Intellectual Property/online stuff) if he has any coworkers willing to give an unofficial opinion for bevvies or something.

  7. #7
    memenode's Avatar
    memenode is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    490
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    176
    Thanked 152 Times in 116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by javanx3d View Post
    I have learned that multiple non-lawyers arguing legalease does not make for good legal protection
    I'll have to ask my bud at work (lawyer but doesn't do Intellectual Property/online stuff) if he has any coworkers willing to give an unofficial opinion for bevvies or something.
    True, though Lawrence Lessig is a lawyer.
    Last edited by memenode; 21 June, 2011 at 19:12 PM.

  8. #8
    javanx3d's Avatar
    javanx3d is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    916
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 237 Times in 164 Posts
    Interesting info from the YouTube blog on how they give you credit for allowing videos to be used by others in the YouTube editor:
    YouTube Blog: YouTube and Creative Commons: raising the bar on user creativity

    So you get more links to your YouTube videos to give up the CC permissions using the new video editing features built into the site.

    For lawyers speaking about direct application of the various licenses, believe you need a lawyers interpretation of the applicability of the 2 licenses. Plenty of material on CC out there, just not in the context of YouTube video embedding on third party sites under this license from YouTube.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •