Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Proxy Server (dedicated) any tweaks?

  1. #1

    Proxy Server (dedicated) any tweaks?

    Hello there!

    Wanted to ask for a bit of advice from you veterans who have run proxy networks.

    I know time is money but if you could share your experience if you know of any tweaks to make to a dedicated server with cPanel, to increase performance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New York, USA
    Posts
    1,137
    Some simple stuff to do is disable things that you don't use. On my own proxy server, I never use the server email or statistical software so I disable those. Installing eAccelerator (for Linux servers) is also always a great option.
    WiredStorm Hosting Solutions
    █ Lightning Fast Shared and Reseller Hosting
    █ cPanel with Softaculous and 24/7 Email (Ticket) Support
    Biodegradable Sunscreen - Unblock Facebook

  3. #3
    Running a PHP cache is a must. Personally I like APC as it's extremely easy to set up and has worked well for me so far.

    A fair few proxy webmasters also run Litespeed webserver. This gives slightly lower CPU usage and massively lower RAM usage for the same amount of traffic compared to apache.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Zash View Post
    Installing eAccelerator (for Linux servers) is also always a great option.
    Be careful with this; while this is a great addition, if you have very high traffic sites you can easily run out of disk space (tmp partition).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New York, USA
    Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenron View Post
    Be careful with this; while this is a great addition, if you have very high traffic sites you can easily run out of disk space (tmp partition).
    That's true, and has happened to me once or twice. But clearing it out fixes it
    WiredStorm Hosting Solutions
    █ Lightning Fast Shared and Reseller Hosting
    █ cPanel with Softaculous and 24/7 Email (Ticket) Support
    Biodegradable Sunscreen - Unblock Facebook

  6. #6
    Cool thanks for the tips, will have to do some research no idea on how to do any of the stuff you both just recommended!

    Is there a way to increase max clients? i dont know if that speed things up but when i increased it from the low number it was set on the sites seemed to speed up, also do you tick the box to lessern ram usage which uses the cpu more of leave this off.

    The dedicated server i got is far to much for what I need, so im more concerned about giving visitors the fastest service that I can offer.

    Server wise I reckon I made a rookie mistake, its a 8core 2.2 gig, 4 gig ram. From what I have observed so far proxy sites hardly use any cpu. My ram usage normally stays on around 40 percent if im on 10k uniques a day.

    The company I purchased it from was just kind like heres your server dont be asking us questions, which I can understand im a noob to servers. So just trying to find out all the little tweaks.

    wow late night ramble lovely jubly

  7. #7
    Configure Apache to run PHP as CGI. I recommend fcgi module as it keeps your PHP resource usage to a bare minimum and enhances security at the same time. With this module your PHP scripts would run as the same username of the script owner instead of as the 'nobody' default user. This way if the proxy script has to write to any files you don't have to set them as world writable. Using this method you probably won't have that cache issue, either.

    Quote Originally Posted by blast204 View Post
    Cool thanks for the tips, will have to do some research no idea on how to do any of the stuff you both just recommended!
    If you want help we can help you here, or you can PM me as I have experience with this.

    Quote Originally Posted by blast204 View Post
    Is there a way to increase max clients? i dont know if that speed things up but when i increased it from the low number it was set on the sites seemed to speed up, also do you tick the box to lessern ram usage which uses the cpu more of leave this off.
    Yes, you can do this in both Apache configuration or PHP configuration. Might be a little tough for you if you have little experience, but I will post the config options here when I have a bit more time.

    Quote Originally Posted by blast204 View Post
    Server wise I reckon I made a rookie mistake, its a 8core 2.2 gig, 4 gig ram. From what I have observed so far proxy sites hardly use any cpu. My ram usage normally stays on around 40 percent if im on 10k uniques a day.
    It depends how you have things configured, but I've typically noticed the same thing on my servers.

    Quote Originally Posted by blast204 View Post
    The company I purchased it from was just kind like heres your server dont be asking us questions
    What? They don't give you tech support? Or did they mean don't ask questions about the hardware?

  8. #8
    Well their crafty, if you have a problem their nice enough to tell you what you wanted to know. But what i didn't know is they have an option when your ordering a dedicated server to get it "managed" i am assuming this would of cost a fair bit more which is why I probably skipped over it.

    So they will give me a basic idea of how to do something but wont get their hands dirty, im learning bit by bit what needs to be done.

    What dedicated servers does vectro offer only looking for now, got 8 days more untill the next payment to my current host. The reason Im with these guys is they allow proxys, had 4gig of ram with 8core 2.4's. so was a nice server with the first month half price however as their not helping me with the server Im proboly not even using most of the memory to its full potential and theres no way my proxys need 8 cores 2.4.

    I would be looking for somthing with like 2-4gig of ram and a half decent processor from the looks of thing

  9. #9
    As promised, here is the information for limiting resources and max. clients for PHP and Apache:

    For PHP resource limits (/usr/lib/php.ini):

    Code:
    max_execution_time = 240     ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
    max_input_time = 240    ; Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data
    memory_limit = 64M      ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (32MB)
    Those are just examples. You might want to change those numbers depending on how busy your server is, probably setting them with lower numbers.

    For Apache resource limits:

    Code:
    RLimitCPU 30 30
    RLimitMEM 10000000 10000000
    Again those numbers are just examples. The first number is the soft limit and the second number is the hard limit. If it is a cPanel server, you will need to add this to the includes file for the virtualhost that needs the limits. It is not advisable to edit the httpd.conf directly because cPanel will eventually rewrite it from template and remove your changes.

    Apache MaxClients determines how many Apache threads are allowed to be open at once. One request from a browser equals one new thread. The default is 256 but this can be changed. MaxClients has to work in conjunction with the ServerLimit directive. Here is the documentation:

    mpm_common - Apache HTTP Server (MaxClients)
    mpm_common - Apache HTTP Server (ServerLimit)

    Quote Originally Posted by blast204 View Post
    what i didn't know is they have an option when your ordering a dedicated server to get it "managed" i am assuming this would of cost a fair bit more which is why I probably skipped over it.
    You might need that from them. In fact, I only offer managed servers. It is more expensive but worth it if your host is experienced and skilled.

    Quote Originally Posted by blast204 View Post
    What dedicated servers does vectro offer only looking for now, got 8 days more untill the next payment to my current host. The reason Im with these guys is they allow proxys, had 4gig of ram with 8core 2.4's. so was a nice server with the first month half price however as their not helping me with the server Im proboly not even using most of the memory to its full potential and theres no way my proxys need 8 cores 2.4.

    I would be looking for somthing with like 2-4gig of ram and a half decent processor from the looks of thing
    I'll admit up front that manged service is more expensive than unmanaged. However, when I sell a dedi I do all security and updates on a regular basis without being asked. If you want any modules, software installations or settings changes, just ask and I'll set it up. It's fully managed. I have experience hosting proxies and can help with that specifically as well. I'll PM you with more info since you asked.

    How many proxy sites do you have and intend on having in the future?

Similar Threads

  1. [WTB] Dedicated server needed
    By lavangiriece in forum Marketplace
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 20 September, 2011, 17:36 PM
  2. Free Tweaks for x Proxy Host Members
    By vectro in forum Web Proxies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14 February, 2011, 20:52 PM
  3. Dedicated Server
    By Sbfc_ in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29 May, 2010, 06:05 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14 May, 2009, 09:21 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •