Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Still getting traffic from Iran?!

  1. #1
    Stylosa's Avatar
    Stylosa is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    286
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 27 Times in 16 Posts

    Still getting traffic from Iran?!

    I've blocked Iran and china using my .htaccess file.

    However awstats still reports a lot of bandwidth going Irans way, I obviously don't want any traffic from Iran (oh noes smart pricing!)

    Do you guys have any ideas? I used block a country, block by ip address, deny access by country to generate the ip's to block.

    Edit: I'm currently adding all of irans ip's to the ip ban list within the glype admin control panel, with some luck that will fix this issue.

  2. #2
    Will.Spencer's Avatar
    Will.Spencer is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,010
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,258 Posts
    I wonder if AWStats isn't using a different IP list for Iran than BlockACountry is using?

    Then I wonder where AWStats stores that list...
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

  3. #3
    small is offline Newbie Net Builder
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Blockacountry is not up-to-date. Use the list from DNSstuff ~ Tools Sets

  4. #4
    rome9t9's Avatar
    rome9t9 is offline No Longer Loves SEO
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    If I tell you, I would have to kill you.
    Posts
    614
    Blog Entries
    4
    Thanks
    168
    Thanked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylosa View Post
    I've blocked Iran and china using my .htaccess file.

    However awstats still reports a lot of bandwidth going Irans way, I obviously don't want any traffic from Iran (oh noes smart pricing!)

    Do you guys have any ideas? I used block a country, block by ip address, deny access by country to generate the ip's to block.

    Edit: I'm currently adding all of irans ip's to the ip ban list within the glype admin control panel, with some luck that will fix this issue.
    The same happened to me..i bought traffic from a reputed member(DP) and got mid XXXX UV on first day. and 65% were from Iran, 30% were from Saudi and rest from US/UK/Canada.

    I installed block a country and the traffic from iran and saudi went down by just 20%. I believe its not much effective.

    i would suggest you to use GeoIP. There is a thread here explaining GeoIP. here it is How to use GeoIP on glype ?

  5. #5
    Mr.Bill's Avatar
    Mr.Bill is offline One is glad to be of service
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Redmond, Oregon
    Posts
    828
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 350 Times in 182 Posts
    From my experience block a country is out of date and using maxminds is still the most effective way even though the free version is not completely up to date either. The paid version is by far the most up to date geoip database. I posted here a great way to use a maxmind block using a simple drop in snippet. Could try it and see if it lowers the amount reported.

    Code:
    <script language="Javascript" src="http://gd.geobytes.com/Gd?after=-1"></script>
    <script language="javascript">
    var sChineseLocations="CN,KW,RU,IR,NG,PK,BR,TR,SA";
    
    if(typeof(sGeobytesLocationCode)!="undefined")
    {
       var sCountryCode=sGeobytesLocationCode.substring(0,2);
          if(sChineseLocations.indexOf(sCountryCode)>=0)
          {
             // Chinese Visitors would go here
             document.write("<META HTTP-EQUIV='Refresh' CONTENT='0; URL=http://www.weightes.info'>");
          }else if(sStatesExampleLocations.indexOf(sGeobytesLocationCode.substring(0,4))>=0)
          {
             // Un-comment out the following line for World Visitors would go here. However it is
             // better to leave at least one location on the current page.
             // document.write("<META HTTP-EQUIV='Refresh' CONTENT='0; URL=centurian.org'>");
          }
    }
    </script>
    As mention keep in mind none are 100% but you should be seeing well under 5% unless all you traffic is from there then even if 5 visitors get through you could still show high % for that country.

    Reverse IP Check ಠ_ಠ Proxy Sites
    <?php if ($youask == 'stupid question') { echo ('stupid answer'); } ?>

  6. Thanked by:

    Aquarezz (3 April, 2009), Will.Spencer (11 April, 2009)

  7. #6
    Ogle is offline Newbie Net Builder
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bill View Post
    From my experience block a country is out of date and using maxminds is still the most effective way even though the free version is not completely up to date either. The paid version is by far the most up to date geoip database. I posted here a great way to use a maxmind block using a simple drop in snippet. Could try it and see if it lowers the amount reported.

    Code:
    <script language="Javascript" src="http://gd.geobytes.com/Gd?after=-1"></script>
    <script language="javascript">
    var sChineseLocations="CN,KW,RU,IR,NG,PK,BR,TR,SA";
    
    if(typeof(sGeobytesLocationCode)!="undefined")
    {
       var sCountryCode=sGeobytesLocationCode.substring(0,2);
          if(sChineseLocations.indexOf(sCountryCode)>=0)
          {
             // Chinese Visitors would go here
             document.write("<META HTTP-EQUIV='Refresh' CONTENT='0; URL=http://www.weightes.info'>");
          }else if(sStatesExampleLocations.indexOf(sGeobytesLocationCode.substring(0,4))>=0)
          {
             // Un-comment out the following line for World Visitors would go here. However it is
             // better to leave at least one location on the current page.
             // document.write("<META HTTP-EQUIV='Refresh' CONTENT='0; URL=centurian.org'>");
          }
    }
    </script>
    As mention keep in mind none are 100% but you should be seeing well under 5% unless all you traffic is from there then even if 5 visitors get through you could still show high % for that country.
    This method is not ideal:

    • It is yet another call to a different server which
      • May really slow down the page for all users if their server is slow
      • If their server goes offline you get a influx of bad traffic

    • People believe that iran traffic can damage your adsense account (smartprice for example) if the above points ever come true they will see the adsense ads

    In saying that, I would still use it over that blockacountry rubbish But the most ideal method is httpd level geoip lookups using an UP TO DATE database. I have access to a USA IP and at one stage the block belonged to someone in brazil, this was a long time ago but still many sites incorrectly show me as being in brazil. Update your databases people!

  8. #7
    Mr.Bill's Avatar
    Mr.Bill is offline One is glad to be of service
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Redmond, Oregon
    Posts
    828
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 350 Times in 182 Posts
    Actually properly installing maxmind geoip is the best method. The method I provided it an alternative to those on a shared plan or unable to install the mod. I understand bulling a file from another site is not the preferred method but some folks have had problems installing the mod. Over inflated htaccess is not a preferred method for most proxy owners. Personally I dont get how a proxy host can offer a service that doesnt have the mod installed in the first place.

    As for the smart pricing I can assure you that traffic sources do affect it. This why some have opted to show adsense to certain countries and adbrite to others. This method still requires geoip to be installed.

    Reverse IP Check ಠ_ಠ Proxy Sites
    <?php if ($youask == 'stupid question') { echo ('stupid answer'); } ?>

  9. #8
    Ogle is offline Newbie Net Builder
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bill View Post
    Actually properly installing maxmind geoip is the best method.
    That is what i said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bill View Post
    Over inflated htaccess is not a preferred method for most proxy owners.
    I also said this
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bill View Post
    As for the smart pricing I can assure you that traffic sources do affect it. This why some have opted to show adsense to certain countries and adbrite to others. This method still requires geoip to be installed.
    And this

  10. #9
    vectro's Avatar
    vectro is offline I Like Stuff
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    625
    Thanks
    192
    Thanked 100 Times in 79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bill View Post
    Personally I dont get how a proxy host can offer a service that doesnt have the mod installed in the first place.
    I can't live without GeoIP for my proxy hosting server. It pretty much keeps the whole thing alive.

Similar Threads

  1. Do i block Iran + Saudi Arabia
    By Tracehide in forum Web Proxies
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10 July, 2010, 11:49 AM
  2. Free Journalists and Writers in Iran
    By Kovich in forum Politics and Religion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25 March, 2010, 14:34 PM
  3. [WTS] Iran Domain Names Best Offer Secures
    By britishguy in forum Domains
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12 February, 2010, 06:13 AM
  4. 90% of traffic from Iran. Possibility of Smart Pricing?
    By ProxySites.ca in forum Web Proxies
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 16 August, 2009, 21:35 PM
  5. Got spare Iran traffic?
    By trizi in forum Web Proxies
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 3 February, 2009, 12:40 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •