Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: /category/postname or /postname ?

  1. #11
    dmi's Avatar
    dmi
    dmi is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    N43°54′, E017°40′
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 56 Times in 28 Posts
    It doesn't work. What is in your .htaccess file? Here's mine:

    Code:
    # BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>
    
    # END WordPress

  2. #12
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Newbie Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    77
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dmi View Post
    It doesn't work. What is in your .htaccess file? Here's mine:

    Code:
    # BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>
    
    # END WordPress
    Hm, interesting. I just found this: Using only %postname%

    Anyways, your .htaccess file should be updating automatically. Did you change the permissions to 777, save the permalink changes, then change the permissions back?

    If it doesn't update properly, WordPress will provide the code you need to put in the file. It appears below the permalink settings in a text box that appears. It says something along the lines of, "If your file was writable, we would update it automatically, but it's not. So here is the code you need to add: ____".

  3. #13
    dmi's Avatar
    dmi
    dmi is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    N43°54′, E017°40′
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 56 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Hm, interesting. I just found this: Using only %postname%

    Anyways, your .htaccess file should be updating automatically. Did you change the permissions to 777, save the permalink changes, then change the permissions back?

    If it doesn't update properly, WordPress will provide the code you need to put in the file. It appears below the permalink settings in a text box that appears. It says something along the lines of, "If your file was writable, we would update it automatically, but it's not. So here is the code you need to add: ____".
    I tried all that, and it doesn't work. I guess I'll have to live with /cat/postname.

  4. #14
    Oranges's Avatar
    Oranges is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Netbuilders
    Posts
    251
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    131
    Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
    I also always go for option 2 as well, and all my niche sites are based ont this structure. Works perfectly for me.
    Custom Wordpress Themer
    - Wordpress Portals & themes -

  5. #15
    jAlpari's Avatar
    jAlpari is offline Unknown Net Builder
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    63
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I use option 1 because when i have category then my permalink has cat name as well as post title.



  6. #16
    ChrisFletcher's Avatar
    ChrisFletcher is offline Newbie Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    81
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jAlpari View Post
    I use option 1 because when i have category then my permalink has cat name as well as post title.
    Hi Jalpari..

    Welcome to NB!


    I prefer using the /postname rather than /cat/postname on my blogs.

    But, my main techno blog that Jalpari had helped in setting up has the former structure and it is mandatory for that as the theme is such that it displays posts based on categories on the home page

    But, i would only use /postname in normal circumstances


  7. #17
    Adam's Avatar
    Adam is offline Unknown Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I prefer /postname because with the categories I feel it makes the URL's a little too spamy. This method gives your URL's some key keywords but does not flood it with too many.

  8. #18
    TopDogger's Avatar
    TopDogger is online now Über Hund
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hellfire, AZ
    Posts
    3,107
    Thanks
    350
    Thanked 919 Times in 703 Posts
    You can only use option 1 if you only plan to place a post in a single category. If you place a post in multiple categories you create multiple URLs representing the same page. That creates a duplicate content situation with the search engines.

    Option 2 is much better. You should figure out why it is not working.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin


  9. #19
    Sundance's Avatar
    Sundance is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    169
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    I always use /postname myself, hardly ever use the category/post name or anything else.
    Xbox 720 Next Generation Console - Video gamers check it out!

  10. #20
    Soulzripper's Avatar
    Soulzripper is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    202
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Option 2 is the best and simple of the two..
    Indian & International webmasters are welcome !!!

    http://NpXp.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Wordpress tag by category ?
    By SonnyCooL in forum Wordpress
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13 April, 2011, 15:17 PM
  2. Wordpress Category Help
    By Sami4u in forum Wordpress
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 5 January, 2010, 19:03 PM
  3. [WTS] 24 articles on different category of jewelry
    By smartdeal in forum Content
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 7 October, 2009, 22:00 PM
  4. Category and sub-category naming schemes
    By Dr. Stavros in forum Wordpress
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17 September, 2009, 16:43 PM
  5. Redirecting Category Pages Help...
    By Alex Fraiser in forum Promoting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11 July, 2009, 14:21 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •