Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Strange links from porn sites

  1. #1
    TopDogger's Avatar
    TopDogger is offline Über Hund
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hellfire, AZ
    Posts
    3,029
    Thanks
    345
    Thanked 902 Times in 689 Posts

    Strange links from porn sites

    I noticed that AwStats for my most popular blog is reporting a large number of links from various subdomain pages within a couple of porn sites. When I visit those pages, there are no links to any other sites.

    I suspect the porn site may be using cloaking and substituting my content for search engines or is up to some other black hat mischief. I checked a number of the porn site's cached pages in Google and don't see anything unusual, but something strange is happening.

    Does anyone know what is going on here?

    What can I do to stop this?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin


  2. #2
    luckymurari is offline Unknown Net Builder
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    This BlackHat technique is known as "Referrer Spam" . They just send fake requests to your website with referrer as th domain they want to advertise. Most people who check their logs frequently fall prey for this and visit their sites. Some other people who display their logs on their sites also are involuntarily providing backlinks to them.

  3. Thanked by:

    TopDogger (4 January, 2010)

  4. #3
    Aziz's Avatar
    Aziz is offline no investment, no glory
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    736
    Thanks
    588
    Thanked 243 Times in 168 Posts
    if you use Firefox. download this extension User Agent Switcher
    and you can actually set the user agent to be a Google Bot. Thus you can check if the site uses cloaking techniques for search bots

  5. Thanked by:

    TopDogger (4 January, 2010)

  6. #4
    TopDogger's Avatar
    TopDogger is offline Über Hund
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hellfire, AZ
    Posts
    3,029
    Thanks
    345
    Thanked 902 Times in 689 Posts
    Thanks for the info!

    I also blocked the IP addresses for the porn sites. If an automated program is sending the requests, that should block it.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin


  7. #5
    luckymurari is offline Unknown Net Builder
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aziz View Post
    if you use Firefox. download this extension User Agent Switcher
    and you can actually set the user agent to be a Google Bot. Thus you can check if the site uses cloaking techniques for search bots
    THis is not about User-Agent cloaking. This is just referrer spam and hence this doesn't help at all. Though the knowledge of cloaking does help TopDogger


    Regardingthe IP Blocking, that doesn't help anymore. The porn spammers are advanced. They sure will be using proxies. Hence blocking the domain and all its subdomains is the only method.

  8. Thanked by:

    TopDogger (5 January, 2010)

  9. #6
    TopDogger's Avatar
    TopDogger is offline Über Hund
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hellfire, AZ
    Posts
    3,029
    Thanks
    345
    Thanked 902 Times in 689 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luckymurari View Post
    Regardingthe IP Blocking, that doesn't help anymore. The porn spammers are advanced. They sure will be using proxies. Hence blocking the domain and all its subdomains is the only method.
    I forgot about the referrer spam issue because I have not seen this from porn sites for several years.

    The problem is that these porn sites are using a lot of subdomains. My stats are not visible to search engines, so the referrer spam won't benefit the spammers.

    I will watch this one to see how sophisticated these guys are after I blocked the IPs. It will not do them any good, even if the spam links still get through. I've just never seen so many porn links before.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin


  10. #7
    luckymurari is offline Unknown Net Builder
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TopDogger View Post
    I forgot about the referrer spam issue because I have not seen this from porn sites for several years.

    The problem is that these porn sites are using a lot of subdomains. My stats are not visible to search engines, so the referrer spam won't benefit the spammers.

    I will watch this one to see how sophisticated these guys are after I blocked the IPs. It will not do them any good, even if the spam links still get through. I've just never seen so many porn links before.
    NOw that the tools like PRStorm are out, they are not aiming at traffic from link backs. They are just aiming at traffic from the site-owners like you For 10 or so referrers they get 1 visitor. So, its actually profitable for them.

  11. #8
    Will.Spencer's Avatar
    Will.Spencer is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,010
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,258 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luckymurari View Post
    NOw that the tools like PRStorm are out, they are not aiming at traffic from link backs. They are just aiming at traffic from the site-owners like you For 10 or so referrers they get 1 visitor. So, its actually profitable for them.
    It's a good way to trick people into visiting sites which attempt to fill their PC's with malware...
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

  12. #9
    TopDogger's Avatar
    TopDogger is offline Über Hund
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hellfire, AZ
    Posts
    3,029
    Thanks
    345
    Thanked 902 Times in 689 Posts
    I have hundreds of links from these porn sites with one of my sites.

    I wonder how many site owners actually look at their site stats. I look at them because I live on the web, but probably less than 5% of my clients take any time at all to look at anything other than the number of visitors in their stats.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15 February, 2011, 21:49 PM
  2. AdSense and Porn
    By Sami4u in forum AdSense
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16 December, 2010, 14:53 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12 March, 2010, 06:02 AM
  4. Strange GoogleBot URL in WordPress Sites
    By TopDogger in forum Wordpress
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29 July, 2009, 11:37 AM
  5. Good Ads for XXXX porn sites
    By bullshitwebsites in forum Monetizing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14 March, 2009, 17:59 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •