Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Using WordPress as a CMS

  1. #1
    deeziner is offline Unknown Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    colorado usa
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Using WordPress as a CMS

    Hi - I am trying to learn how to set up WordPress as a CMS for several web sites. I borrowed the "WordPress for Dummies" book at the library and you know - I just don't get it!

    Can you help me please?

    - I have WordPress installed on my server.

    - How do I set up a WP theme and make the site look like a web site instead of a blog?

    Thank you! All help is gratefully appreciated

  2. #2
    m42's Avatar
    m42
    m42 is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    725
    Thanks
    686
    Thanked 493 Times in 299 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deeziner View Post
    Hi - I am trying to learn how to set up WordPress as a CMS for several web sites. I borrowed the "WordPress for Dummies" book at the library and you know - I just don't get it!

    Can you help me please?

    - I have WordPress installed on my server.

    - How do I set up a WP theme and make the site look like a web site instead of a blog?

    Thank you! All help is gratefully appreciated
    Are you migrating from a custom site or do you have enough leeway to start with a generic/premade Wordpress theme?
    (

    Diet Fads

  3. #3
    mixke is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deeziner View Post
    - How do I set up a WP theme and make the site look like a web site instead of a blog?
    If you want to have a static page as homepage, then change the settings from your WP admin panel. Go to Settings>Reading>Edit the options available for front page display.

    Some useful links -

    SmashingMagazine also has some interesting articles on this topic.
    Need some time to handle deferred joining date by three big IT companies.

    If your work is still pending, I'll soon get in touch.

  4. Thanked by:

    m42 (22 July, 2009)

  5. #4
    Jorge05r's Avatar
    Jorge05r is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    245
    Blog Entries
    8
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 57 Times in 31 Posts
    I suppose you're not very familiar with wp since you don't know how to set up a theme so if I was you I would focus on learning the basic stuff first, and then step up to learn how to set up WordPress as a CMS

    You will need to study and practice it for a few days minimum, making wordpress to work as a CMS is not very easy that you would learn in 1 day. Also it may depend on what you're trying to achieve, there's some CMS features which are very easy and some that may require a lot of work and skills.

    If you're looking into learning everything, then I would recommend every tutorial out there, Google it or Bing it!

    Wordpress has infinite ways to make websites such as image galleries, discussion boards, membership sites, Questions and answers sites, gaming site, clan site, calendar, and so many more it's unbelievable how such a simple blog could turn into many types of sites but there's a lot of learning required.

  6. #5
    Hellas's Avatar
    Hellas is offline Very Unusual Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bosnia
    Posts
    1,051
    Thanks
    214
    Thanked 292 Times in 205 Posts
    Wordpress is alreday cms. It manages content.
    Blogging platform is just a type of cms, forums are some kind of CMS too.

    Here is one link for you:
    use wordpress as cms - Google Search

  7. #6
    Jorge05r's Avatar
    Jorge05r is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    245
    Blog Entries
    8
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 57 Times in 31 Posts
    Some people may call it a CMS, even myself sometimes because it works almost like one and you can make it work like one but Wordpress is not really a CMS like joomla, drupal and some others actual CMS applications.

    Saying that WordPress is a content management system is not very accurate. I don't think that wordpress itself would like to be recognize as a CMS, otherwise it would have not become as popular as it is.

    Another point would be, if wordpress was a CMS, there would not be any "wordpress as a CMS" tutorials and plugins becuase if it was then we wouldn't need those tuts and plugs.

  8. #7
    Hellas's Avatar
    Hellas is offline Very Unusual Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bosnia
    Posts
    1,051
    Thanks
    214
    Thanked 292 Times in 205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge05r View Post
    Some people may call it a CMS, even myself sometimes because it works almost like one and you can make it work like one but Wordpress is not really a CMS like joomla, drupal and some others actual CMS applications.

    Saying that WordPress is a content management system is not very accurate. I don't think that wordpress itself would like to be recognize as a CMS, otherwise it would have not become as popular as it is.

    Another point would be, if wordpress was a CMS, there would not be any "wordpress as a CMS" tutorials and plugins becuase if it was then we wouldn't need those tuts and plugs.
    Can you give me definition of CMS?

  9. #8
    deeziner is offline Unknown Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    colorado usa
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m42 View Post
    Are you migrating from a custom site or do you have enough leeway to start with a generic/premade Wordpress theme?
    I'm starting from scratch.

    I have several sites I want to build using WP as the CMS to make it simpler for the client to maintain their own content. For 1, I have a WP template they selected for use. The other, I have another design of my own I want to use but it is not a WP template.

    thanks!

  10. #9
    deeziner is offline Unknown Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    colorado usa
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge05r View Post
    Some people may call it a CMS, even myself sometimes because it works almost like one and you can make it work like one but Wordpress is not really a CMS like joomla, drupal and some others actual CMS applications.

    Saying that WordPress is a content management system is not very accurate. I don't think that wordpress itself would like to be recognize as a CMS, otherwise it would have not become as popular as it is.

    Another point would be, if wordpress was a CMS, there would not be any "wordpress as a CMS" tutorials and plugins becuase if it was then we wouldn't need those tuts and plugs.
    I'm not here to argue semantics. There are countless references on the 'net to "Wordpress as CMS" so I don't think I'm mis-stating it by also using that reference.

    Thanks to all for your input, I appreciate it.

  11. #10
    sturat's Avatar
    sturat is offline Article Marketing Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    332
    Blog Entries
    11
    Thanks
    197
    Thanked 158 Times in 83 Posts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Wordpress] - WordPress 3.0 Release Candidate
    By StephenM in forum Community Software
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28 May, 2010, 03:35 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14 January, 2010, 04:58 AM
  3. [WTS] Hoover Wordpress Blog (Unquie Wordpress Theme)
    By Marcell Purham in forum Themes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15 December, 2009, 21:36 PM
  4. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 18 September, 2009, 12:24 PM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 30 August, 2009, 03:33 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •