Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Wanted: A WP search plugin

  1. #1

    Wanted: A WP search plugin

    Hi,

    I would like to have a serch plugin that can told where to go.

    I don't want this.

    Not Found


    Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here.


    Basically instead of it saying the above I would like to pick a page myself where it would go to instead.


    Thanks In advance


    Sami
    Current Celebrity Gossip Movies & More TV Site
    Find out how I'm able to get up to 420 backlinks for month, by spending 30 seconds per day...all for FREE! - Click Here

  2. #2
    Let me understand you.

    Search function on a wp blog and if someone searches for something not on the blog, they do go to an error page.

    What you want to do is if someone searches for something not found, instead to go to a page you select?

    There is a way, but for the life of me right now I can not think of it! LOL
    It is only good to send searches to one page only.
    And if memory serves me correctly, if not done right, all searches will go to the same page.

    Now let me hunt down the correct information you need.

    See this:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wpsearch/

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by iowadawg View Post
    Let me understand you.

    Search function on a wp blog and if someone searches for something not on the blog, they do go to an error page.

    What you want to do is if someone searches for something not found, instead to go to a page you select?
    Hi,

    Yes, that is what I am looking for

    I already have search relevancy plugin on the site it won't help me. I need a search redirect of types.

    Or a search function that will search the whole domain not just wp.

    Sami
    Current Celebrity Gossip Movies & More TV Site
    Find out how I'm able to get up to 420 backlinks for month, by spending 30 seconds per day...all for FREE! - Click Here

  4. I'm trying to understand this request. When I read it I'm thinking like this.

    Example: Someone searched for "apples", your site has nothing to do with apples in the WP section so the search is expanded to your entire domain searching "http://www.what-ever-your-domain-is.com" and returns those results. If there is still no relevant page to show then instead of showing a page of no results. you want to redirect to a specific page based on the search term. If they searched "apples" you might return a page about Macintosh Computers.

    Now that I've said all this it seams like there should be a plugin that does exactly this and if t doesn't exist I'm wondering why it wouldn't.

    Perhaps I'm totally off base and you can help set me straight. Let me know if I'm on the right track. If I understand correctly I'm reasonably sure I can find a way to get this done for you.

  5. #5
    I know one way if people enter in a page that does not exist.
    EG: http://xxxxxx.com/apples
    And they instead of seeing an error page, go to either main page or a particular page.

    That is using a 404.php page in your theme.

    But searching inside a blog?
    ARGH!
    I have searched, I have hunted, I am sick of looking.
    Only way out of it is something like the 404.php.
    IN other words, take the search.php page of your theme and recoding it so that it leads to either main page or a page of your choice.
    But like using 404.php, it can only be ONE page, not a diferent page for different searches.

    Unless someone can actually lead me to a better solution.

    Oh, I wasted too much time on wordpress forum (wordpress.org) and hunting also through plugins to be found there.

  6. I think Smart 404 is what you are looking for.
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

  7. #7
    Hi,

    Quote Originally Posted by JHalstead View Post
    I'm trying to understand this request. When I read it I'm thinking like this.

    Example: Someone searched for "apples", your site has nothing to do with apples in the WP section so the search is expanded to your entire domain searching "http://www.what-ever-your-domain-is.com" and returns those results. If there is still no relevant page to show then instead of showing a page of no results. you want to redirect to a specific page based on the search term. If they searched "apples" you might return a page about Macintosh Computers.

    Now that I've said all this it seams like there should be a plugin that does exactly this and if t doesn't exist I'm wondering why it wouldn't.

    Perhaps I'm totally off base and you can help set me straight. Let me know if I'm on the right track. If I understand correctly I'm reasonably sure I can find a way to get this done for you.
    You are correct if it exist I can not find it.

    Here is my problem I'll try to explain better.

    WP search only shows search results that are in wp not what the site has.

    Please go to my site here

    My Halloween Ideas | Costumes, decorations and crafts

    Now do search for "santa"

    You will end up at a page that says No result for your search! Here

    Santa | My Halloween Ideas

    Now go to my costume store here it is part of the site

    My Halloween Ideas - halloween costumes

    Now do a search for santa you will find lots of santa costumes for sale.

    I know for a fact I was losing sales of Halloween costumes this year because people were using the wrong search box.

    I need away to let them know I have the stuff for sale if they would just search in the right place.

    Even a quick fix would be good like the page would say Please try your search again here with a link to the store would work. Just do not want it to say No result for your search! Here when I have stuff.


    Quote Originally Posted by iowadawg View Post
    I know one way if people enter in a page that does not exist.
    EG: http://xxxxxx.com/apples
    And they instead of seeing an error page, go to either main page or a particular page.

    That is using a 404.php page in your theme.

    But searching inside a blog?
    ARGH!
    I have searched, I have hunted, I am sick of looking.
    Only way out of it is something like the 404.php.
    IN other words, take the search.php page of your theme and recoding it so that it leads to either main page or a page of your choice.
    But like using 404.php, it can only be ONE page, not a diferent page for different searches.

    Unless someone can actually lead me to a better solution.

    Oh, I wasted too much time on wordpress forum (wordpress.org) and hunting also through plugins to be found there.
    Thanks for your time and help.

    Quote Originally Posted by Will.Spencer View Post
    I think Smart 404 is what you are looking for.
    I cant seem to get the plugin to work unless I am doing it wrong.

    Sami
    Current Celebrity Gossip Movies & More TV Site
    Find out how I'm able to get up to 420 backlinks for month, by spending 30 seconds per day...all for FREE! - Click Here

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Sami4u View Post
    I cant seem to get the plugin to work unless I am doing it wrong.
    What have you done so far and what do you see?
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

  9. #9
    Sami. the main page search is part of the theme.
    The inner page search is an Amazon search.
    Two different searches there.

    What I would do?
    Simple, remove the theme search function.
    Then put in the Amazon search function.

    There you go, everything is okay!

Similar Threads

  1. [Wanted] This day in history plugin
    By Mr.Bill in forum Blogging
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28 April, 2010, 19:13 PM
  2. [WTB] wordpress custom search plugin
    By SonnyCooL in forum Services
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 8 February, 2010, 20:19 PM
  3. Personalized Search Is Now Default Google Search Option
    By bogart in forum Search Engine News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 8 December, 2009, 01:51 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1 December, 2009, 12:36 PM
  5. How do search engines treat dot (.) in search results?
    By Forsaken in forum Search Engine News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26 July, 2009, 21:02 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •