Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Wordpress Site Hacked - Upgrade to WordPress 2.8.4

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772

    Wordpress Site Hacked - Upgrade to WordPress 2.8.4

    I just had a couple of wordpress blogs hacked. One with WP 2.8 and the other with WP 2.3. I'm kind of lazy about keeping Wordpress updated.

    It's good practice to keep wordpress updated so that you have the latest security fixes.

    Download Wordpress 2.8.4 here: WordPress › Download

  2. #2
    I had some problems with categories of wp-2.8.3.

    But when i upgraded to 2.8.4,they were fixed....Upgrading is good...

  3. #3
    Upgrading is an excellent way of keeping the security loopholes plugged as well as the plugins to work efficiently and better

  4. But many times Updating can create problem too . Last time is upgraded my blog and sidebar went down below the main content section .

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772
    Quote Originally Posted by badmash View Post
    But many times Updating can create problem too . Last time is upgraded my blog and sidebar went down below the main content section .
    Make a back-up before trying to upgrade

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Martinique, FWI
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by bogart View Post
    I just had a couple of wordpress blogs hacked. One with WP 2.8 and the other with WP 2.3. I'm kind of lazy about keeping Wordpress updated.

    It's good practice to keep wordpress updated so that you have the latest security fixes.

    Download Wordpress 2.8.4 here: WordPress › Download
    I aggree with you.
    I'm tired of upgrading my blogs every week, I will use minisites now...

  7. #7
    I've got 10 WordPress blogs and none have ever been hacked (knock on wood). However, I do harden them when I set them up, and I do the updates when they have security fixes.

    1. Rename the prefix for the tables.
    2. Use .htaccess password protection for the admin area.
    3. Keep plugins updated.

    It is getting to be a pain to do updates almost weekly, but I do appreciate the fact that the development team keeps on top of the issues.

    One new problem that I saw recently. As of 2.8.2 the automatic update process for WordPress stopped working. Has anyone else seen this?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    N43°54′, E017°40′
    Posts
    242
    I am in the process of upgrading as I write this.

    @TopDogger: Do you mind elaborating number 2. a bit more? Thanks.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TopDogger View Post
    One new problem that I saw recently. As of 2.8.2 the automatic update process for WordPress stopped working. Has anyone else seen this?
    Works smooth for me, I'm using it all the time. And IMO upgrading takes such a short time (at least auto-upgrading) that even if you have 30 blogs, you should update them as soon as you spot there is a new upgrade

    Though it looks like WordPress is releasing a new version every week these days
    |Nico Lawsons

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Queensland, Australia.
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by dmi View Post
    I am in the process of upgrading as I write this.

    @TopDogger: Do you mind elaborating number 2. a bit more? Thanks.
    Password Protecting The Wp-admin Folder | More Than Scratch The Surface

    I highly recommend you all give this article a read: 13 Vital Tips and Hacks to Protect Your WordPress Admin Area.
    My Awesome Signature is awesome...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 18 September, 2009, 11:24 AM
  2. Wordpress Automatic Upgrade Problem
    By Pathan in forum Wordpress
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 13 September, 2009, 07:39 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2 August, 2009, 06:59 AM
  4. Wordpress 2.8.1 upgrade mandatory
    By sizzler_chetan in forum Wordpress
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11 July, 2009, 21:01 PM
  5. Wordpress Blog Hacked
    By elishevadpw in forum Wordpress
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 7 February, 2009, 10:08 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •